St. Michael's Cathedral - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

St. Michael's Cathedral

The cornerstone of St. Michael's Cathedral was laid on May 8, 1845, by the Most Reverend Michael Power, first Catholic Bishop of Toronto. Designed by William Thomas, the building is an adaptation of the 14th century English Gothic style. It was consecrated on September 29, 1848. Though the transepts remain unfinished, St. Michael's adheres to the ancient cruciform shape of religious structures. The interior of the cathedral had undergone a number of transformations. The great chancel window, installed in 1858, was executed by Etienne Thevenot, a gifted French artist and was donated by Bishop de Charbonnel. Construction of the tower and spire began in 1867. St. Michael's is the principal church of Canada's largest English-speaking Catholic archdiocese.

Location

At the west entrance to the cathedral, Bond and Shuter Streets, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto

Themes