University of Windsor, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

University of Windsor, The

The University takes its origin from Assumption College (Roman Catholic) established here in 1857, and directed by the congregation of St. Basil after 1870. From 1919 to 1953, it was affiliated with the University of Western Ontario, becoming co-educational in 1934 with the formation of Holy Names College. Achieving independent University status in 1953, with Essex College and Holy Redeemer College in affiliation, it became Assumption University of Windsor in 1956. Canterbury College (Anglican) affiliated in 1957. Finally, in 1963, a new non-denominational institution, the University of Windsor, absorbed Essex College, granted federation to Assumption University, and renewed the previous college affiliations. Iona College (United Church) became affiliated with the University the following year.

Location

At Windsor Hall, 401 Sunset Avenue, Windsor

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Essex

Municipality: City of Windsor

Themes