Voyage of the Griffon 1679, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Voyage of the Griffon 1679, The

First ship to sail Lakes Erie, Huron and Michigan, the "Griffon", probably 40-45 feet long, was built by Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle, several miles above Niagara Falls in 1679. La Salle came to New France in 1667, became seigneur of Cataracoui (Kingston), engaged in the fur trade and sought a western route to China. In August, 1679, the "Griffon" sailed from the Niagara River with La Salle and a company of about thirty-three. In this vicinity the crew had to haul the ship up the swift current of the St. Clair River. La Salle remained in the West while the "Griffon", laden with furs, vanished en route from Green Bay to Niagara.

Location

Michigan Avenue at the Bluewater Bridge, in the vicinity where the ship was hauled through the current by its crew, Point Edward

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Lambton

Municipality: Village of Point Edward

Themes