Menu

L’École Guigues and Regulation 17

L’École Guigues became the centre of minority-rights agitation in Ontario when in 1912 the provincial government issued a directive, commonly called Regulation 17, restricting French-language education. Mounting protests forced the government to moderate its policy and in 1927 bilingual schools were officially recognized.

Location

In front of the former school building, 159 Murray Street, Ottawa

Region: Ottawa

County/District: City of Ottawa (District)

Municipality: City of Ottawa

Themes