Founding of Chippawa, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Chippawa, The

Situated on Chippawa Creek at the end of the portage road from Queenston, Chippawa retained its original name even though the creek was renamed the Welland River in 1793. Severely damaged during the War of 1812, the village revived following construction of the first Welland Canal.

Location

In Cummington Square, near the former town hall, Chippawa

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of Niagara Falls

Themes