Founding of Goderich, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Goderich, The

As Warden of the Forests for the Canada Company, William "Tiger" Dunlop recognized the potential for harbour facilities at the mouth of the Maitland River. In 1827, he laid out a town site to serve as a port and service centre for the western section of the Huron Tract, and named the community Goderich.

Location

In Harbour Park, West Street, Goderich

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Huron

Municipality: Town of Goderich

Themes