Founding of Goderich, The

In 1826, the Canada Company, a newly chartered colonization firm, acquired a large block of land known as the Huron Tract. The following year, William "Tiger" Dunlop, appointed Warden of the Forests by the Company's first superintendent John Galt, established his base here in the western part of the Tract. Named Goderich after the Colonial Secretary, Viscount Goderich, the site was initially marked only by "The Castle," Dunlop's residence, but a settlement gradually developed. By 1829, the Canada Company had surveyed a town plot, opened the Huron Road from Guelph, and established an office. In 1841, Goderich became the administrative and judicial centre for the newly created Huron District. Nine years later, with a population of about 1,000, the community was incorporated as a town.


In Harbour Park, Harbour Street, Goderich

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Huron

Municipality: Town of Goderich