Founding of Meaford, The - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

Founding of Meaford, The

In 1837, inhabitants of St. Vincent Township petitioned the government requesting that land at the mouth of the Bighead River be reserved as a landing place. The land was set aside, a town plot of "Meaford" laid out in 1845, and lots subsequently offered for sale. As early as 1841, a sawmill and a grist-mill had been built on adjoining land, several roads constructed to the landing and a post office called "St. Vincent" established. In 1865, this post office was renamed "Meaford," which by that time had become a flourishing community, connected by steamer and road with the railhead at Collingwood. Meaford was incorporated as a town in 1874.

Location

On Sykes Street, west of the town hall, Meaford

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Grey

Municipality: Municipality of Meaford

Themes