St. Andrew's Anglican Church - Ontario Heritage Trust

Menu

St. Andrew's Anglican Church

On this land donated by Robert Nelles, United Empire Loyalist, the pioneers of this community built a log church in 1794. It was replaced by a frame structure which was completed by 1804. The present stone church was erected 1819-25, and consecrated by bishop C.J. Stewart in 1828. The first three incumbents were the Rev. W. Sampson 1817-22, the Rev. A.N. Bethune 1823-27, and the Rev. G.F.R. Grout 1827-49. In this churchyard are buried many members of the Loyalist families who founded The Forty (Grimsby).

Location

On the grounds of the church, Main Street West and St. Andrew's Avenue, Grimsby

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Grimsby

Themes