Ball's Grist-Mill

By 1809, John and George Ball had constructed a four-storey grist-mill here on Twenty Mile Creek. Equipped with two run of stones, the mill provided flour for British troops during the War of 1812. It was expanded during the 1840s and by the end of the decade was part of a complex which included sawmills and woollen factories. About that time, George Peter Mann Ball laid out a village plot named Glen Elgin. His plans for an industrial community were thwarted, however, when the Great Western Railway by-passed the site in the early fifties. By 1900, the industries had declined and the grist-mill had been partially dismantled. Closed in 1910, the mill was acquired from the Ball family in 1962 by the Niagara Peninsula Conservation Authority.


At the mill in Ball's Falls Conservation Area, Regional Road 24, just south of Vineland

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: Town of Lincoln