Menu

Bethesda Church and Burying Ground

When the first German settlers led by William Berczy arrived in this area in 1794, they were accompanied by the Rev. S. Liebrich who established here one of Upper Canada’s earliest Lutheran congregations. Services were held at first in the house of Phillip Eckardt, but under the guidance of the Rev. Johan D. Petersen, who was pastor 1819-29, a church named St. Philip’s was constructed on this site in 1820. Eckardt donated the land for the church and burying ground, and this log structure, later renamed Bethesda, was used by the congregation until it was replaced by a brick building in 1862. The latter was moved to Unionville in 1910.

Location

At Bethesda Lutheran Cemetery near the site of the former church, Kennedy Road, just north of Unionville

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of York

Municipality: Town of Markham

Themes