Menu

Bishop's Palace 1818, The

The residence of John Strachan, the first Anglican Bishop of Toronto, the Bishop's Palace was a large two-storey house built in 1817-18 when Strachan was the incumbent at St. James' Church. It was also the place of assembly in 1837 for the loyalist forces that defeated Mackenzie's rebels at Montgomery's Tavern.

Location

At the northwest corner of Front Street West and University Avenue where the house once stood, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto

Themes