Brock University

Resolutions by the Allanburg Women's Institute and the Welland County Council resulted in the founding of the Niagara Peninsula Joint Committee on Higher Education in 1958. The work of this group led to the establishment, in 1962, of the Brock University Founders' Committee headed by Dr. Arthur A. Schmon, who announced the selection of the DeCew Falls site in 1963. The University, chartered by a provincial Act, March 1964, was named after Major-General Sir Isaac Brock, military hero and civil administrator. Classes began in St. Paul Street United Church in September 1964, and were moved to the Glenridge building two months later. In 1967, the DeCew campus was opened and the University granted its first degrees.


Beneath the podium at the end of Thistle Corridor, Brock University, Glenridge Avenue, St. Catharines

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of St. Catharines