Menu

Christ Church 1843

The Mohawks, allies of the British during the American Revolution, settled permanently in Canada following that conflict. A party led by Capt. John Deserotyon landed here in 1784 and constructed a chapel shortly thereafter. The church’s historic Communion Plate is part of a gift represented to the Mohawks in 1712 by Queen Anne. In 1798, King George III gave to the chapel, which became known as a “Chapel Royal,” a triptych, bell and Royal Coat-of-Arms. The first permanent chaplain, the Reverend Saltern Givins, was appointed in 1831 and, during his incumbency, the present structure was built by the Mohawks in 1843. Although damaged by fire in 1906, Christ Church appears today essentially as originally constructed.

Location

At the church, just off Highway 2 on the Tyendinaga Reserve, about 3 km west of Deseronto

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Hastings

Municipality: Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory

Themes