Christ Church

Begun in 1831 and completed the following year, this frame church was designed in the Gothic revival style, customarily used in churches of that period. The Anglican congregation had been formed about 1822 in this part of Marlborough and Oxford Townships, where the earliest settlers on the Rideau had located. It was ministered to by the Reverend Robert Blakey, Rector of Prescott, until 1829 when the Reverend Henry Patton was appointed missionary to the region. Under his guidance, plans were made to erect a house of worship. In 1830, David Burritt donated land for a church and a burying ground at the rapids bearing his name. In 1834, the church was consecrated as Christ Church by the Right Reverend Charles James Stewart, Bishop of Quebec.


On the grounds of the church, County Road 3, Burritts Rapids

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Village of Merrickville-Wolford