Church of the Holy Trinity, The

A frame church was built here following the arrival in 1820 of an Anglican missionary, the Reverend William Leeming. It was burned on the night of September 12-13, 1839, by supporters of William Lyon Mackenzie who crossed the Niagara River from New York State. The present church was designed by John Howard and built with the aid of private subscriptions and government assistance. The corner-stone was laid in 1841 by Bishop John Strachan. Among the well known persons who worshipped here were: Jenny Lind, the famous singer, in 1851; Edward, Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII), in 1860; and Laura Secord, a parishioner, who died in 1868.


On the grounds of the church, 7820 Portage Road South, Chippawa

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of Niagara Falls