Cobalt Mining Camp, The

The first discovery of silver deposits in this area was made in 1903 by lumbermen searching for timber for railroad ties, and led to one of the most intensive mining rushes in Ontario history. In the 1930s, the demand for cobalt assured the economic stability of the mining camp despite a sharp reduction in the price of silver.


Opposite the Cobalt Northern Ontario Mining Museum, 26 Silver Street near the site of the initial discovery, Cobalt

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Timiskaming

Municipality: Town of Cobalt