Menu

Colborne Lodge 1836

Built by John Howard (1803-1890), it was named after Sir John Colborne, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada. Howard, an architect and engineer, emigrated from England 1832, becoming Toronto’s first City Surveyor 1834 and City Engineer 1838. He was an art collector, painted scenes of Toronto and devoted himself to improving his estate, which forms part of the present-day High Park. In 1873, he offered his property to the city for a public park, but retained possession of the Lodge and 45 acres until his death.

Location

Near Colborne Lodge museum, at the south entrance to High Park on Colborne Lodge Drive, Toronto

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: City of Toronto (District)

Municipality: City of Toronto

Themes