Menu

Colonel Edward Jessup 1735-1816

Born in Stamford, Connecticut, he forfeited 500,000 acres near Albany, New York, by taking up arms for the King on the outbreak of the American Revolution. He raised the Loyal (Jessup’s) Rangers and served under Burgoyne. This corps was disbanded at the end of the war, its members settling in the present Leeds and Grenville Counties, and on the Bay of Quinte. In return for his services, Jessup received extensive lands from the Crown. In 1810, a townsite was surveyed on this grant, which he named after Robert Prescott, Governor-in-Chief of Canada, 1797-1807.

Location

On the grounds of Fort Wellington, County Road 2, Prescott

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Town of Prescott

Themes