District Court House and Gaol

When the British withdrew from Detroit in 1796, they transferred the courts of the Western District to Sandwich (Windsor). An abandoned blockhouse, relocated from Chatham, served briefly as the court house and gaol until fire destroyed it in 1797. Its replacement, built soon afterwards, was burned by American soldiers during the War of 1812. A brick court house and gaol, completed by 1820, served until 1856 when the present building was constructed. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style by Albert H. Jordan of Detroit, it was built by stonemason Alexander Mackenzie, who later became Canada's second prime minister. It housed the Essex County courts until 1963. Renamed Mackenzie Hall, the restored building opened in 1985 as a community and arts centre.


At the former court house, now Mackenzie Hall, Brock and Sandwich streets, Windsor

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Essex

Municipality: City of Windsor