Dixie Union Chapel

Constructed of stone from the nearby Etobicoke River, this building also known as the Stone Chapel, is a rare surviving example of a "union" chapel from the settlement period of Upper Canada. It was erected in 1837 through the efforts of John Silverthorn, Allen Robinet and Daniel Harris, prominent early settlers of Toronto Township. It replaced a previous log structure in which Anglicans, Methodists and Presbyterians worshipped as early as 1816. The erection of such multi-denominational churches was the result of the small size and poverty of many early religious groups. Little altered on the exterior since its construction, the chapel was last used for regular services by a baptist congregation in the 1950s and is still held in trust for local Protestant denominations.


At the chapel, Cawthra Road and Dundas Street East, Mississauga

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of Peel

Municipality: City of Mississauga