Fergus Curling Club, The

The oldest continuously operating curling club in Ontario, the Fergus Curling Club was formed in 1834 by Scottish immigrants. At the organization's first formal meeting two years later Adam Fergusson, a founder of Fergus, was chosen president and the rules of play were established. Curling matches between local players and against rival clubs were held out of doors until 1879 when a covered rink was opened. No longer the exclusive preserve of Scots, curling became an enormously popular activity in Fergus and the rink became a social centre for the community. Seeking competition from further a field, the Fergus Curling Club entered bonspiels throughout the province, winning the Ontario Tankard in 1899. Today, it remains a significant force in inter-community curling.


At the entrance to the club's present building, St. George Street West, Fergus

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: Township of Centre Wellington