First Forestry Station 1908, The

Here, on 100 acres of wind-eroded sandy land, the Ontario government established Canada's first provincial forestry station. That father of reforestation in Ontario, Edmund John Zavitz, was born July 9, 1875, graduated from McMaster, Yale and the University of Michigan and taught forestry at the Ontario Agricultural College. He entered this province's public service in 1905, was Deputy Minister of the Department of Lands and Forests 1925-34, and served thereafter as Chief Forester until his retirement 1953. Through his leadership, large areas of waste land have been restored to productivity.


At the station's head office, Highway 24 near Regional Road 16, north of St. Williams

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Norfolk (District)

Municipality: County of Norfolk