Fort Lac La Pluie

Erected on or near this site, sometime between 1775-1787 by the North West Company, and abandoned in 1821 at the union with the Hudson's Bay Company. The establishment included "Athabaska House," the depot where, owing to the distances to be covered during the short travelling season, the traders from Montreal met those from the Athabaska country and exchanged lading with them.


On Keating Avenue, south of Riverview Drive near the site of the former fort, Fort Frances

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Rainy River

Municipality: Town of Fort Frances