Founders of Campbellford, The

In 1831, two Scottish-born brothers, Lt. Col. Robert Campbell and Major David Campbell, were granted 2,200 acres of land in Seymour Township, which had been surveyed in 1819. Robert, who had achieved an outstanding record in the Napoleonic Wars, died here in 1836, while David served as Crown Land Agent for the township, 1832-39. Here at "Campbell's ford," there arose a settlement that, about 1853, was named Campbellford. David Campbell, by then living in Cobourg, formed a syndicate in 1856 with Nesbitt Kirchhoffer and James Cockburn to develop Campbellford, which was incorporated as a village in 1876. Campbell died at "Sidbrook," his Cobourg estate, in 1881.


Beside the Trent Canal, off Queen Street, Campbellford

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Northumberland

Municipality: Municipality of Trent Hills