Founders of Fergus, The

Adam Fergusson (1782-1862) first visited Canada in 1831 to investigate emigration for the Highland Society of Scotland. In 1833, in partnership with a fellow Scot, James Webster (1808-69), he purchased over 7,000 acres of uncleared land in Nichol Township. Attracted by the abundant water power they laid out the town site of Fergus, Webster took up residence here and supervised the settlement's early development. The first house of this predominantly Scottish community was erected in 1833, a hotel the following year and a sawmill, grist-mill, church and school in 1835. Though Fergusson lived near Waterdown, and Webster moved to Guelph in 1852, the founders continued to foster the growth of their settlement.


On the Riverwalk behind the Fergus Public Library (which is located at 190 St. Andrew Street West in Fergus)

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: Township of Centre Wellington