Founding of Arthur, The

Arthur, named for Arthur Wellesley, Duke of Wellington, was the southern terminus of the Garafraxa "colonization road" to Owen Sound. Settlers arrived in 1840, but the town site was not officially surveyed until 1846. The establishment of saw and grist mills hastened growth in the community, which was also the natural market centre for the area's agricultural production. In 1851, a post office was opened and the first church and school were organized. A weekly newspaper, the Enterprise, was established and a Divisional Court met at Arthur. Economic development was further encouraged when, in 1872, a station of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway was opened in the community. That year, Arthur was incorporated as a village.


In Arthur Community Park, Francis Street East, Arthur

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: Township of Wellington North