Menu

Founding of Bothwell, The

George Brown, one of the Fathers of Confederation, owned some 4,000 acres of land in Kent County. After the Great Western Railway constructed a line and a station on his property in 1855, he had a town plot surveyed. The resulting community, named Bothwell, developed quickly. Its economic prosperity was further stimulated by the discovery of oil some years later.

Location

On the grounds of the town hall, 320 Main Street, Bothwell

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: Municipality of Chatham-Kent (District)

Municipality: Municipality of Chatham-Kent

Themes