Founding of Madoc, The

Mills constructed about 1832 by Donald MacKenzie, a Belleville merchant, and the ironworks erected by American entrepreneurs Uriah Seymour and John Pendergast formed the nucleus of a settlement here on Deer Creek. A post-office, Madoc, was established in 1836 and the hamlet grew gradually, stimulated by lumbering, farming and the opening of the Hastings Colonization Road (1854), which ran north from Madoc Township. Following the nearby discovery of gold-bearing quartz in 1866, it became a bustling centre, which by 1868 contained about 1,000 inhabitants and numerous industries, including a rock crushing mill. The boom declined after 1870, but the community continued to prosper from its agricultural and commercial activities. Madoc was incorporated as a village by a county bylaw of 1877.


At the Thomas Thompson Memorial Park, also called Cenotaph Park, St. Lawrence Street East, Madoc

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Hastings

Municipality: Municipality of Centre Hastings