Founding of Maitland, The

In this vicinity, the site of a shipyard used during both the late French and early British periods, a village plot was laid out in 1824 for Jehiel and Ziba Phillips. Adjacent to it, George Longley, a recent English emigrant, acquired an estate on which St. James Anglican Church was built in 1826. Longley constructed the nearby stone windmill, opened a store and, in 1828, became Maitland's first postmaster. The community, named after Sir Peregrine Maitland, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada 1818-28, was a point of access to the Rideau area and flourished during the building of the Rideau Canal 1826-32. Other local industries were soon established and, by 1850, Maitland had 200 residents.


On County Road 2, east of Church Street, Maitland

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Township of Augusta