Founding of Merrickville, The

In 1793, William Merrick (1760-1844), a Loyalist from Massachusetts, acquired from Roger Stevens a sawmill at the "Great Falls" on the Rideau River. Here, he built new mills that formed the nucleus of a small community that grew up before 1816, and was known as "Merricks Mills." The establishment of new settlements on the Rideau and the building of the canal, 1826-32, stimulated the growth of the village. Streets were laid out and a post office named "Merrickville" was opened in 1829. By 1850, the community contained about 700 persons, two flour mills, a cloth factory and other industries, and was incorporated as a village in 1860.


On the grounds of the municipal building, Main Street West at Elgin Street, Merrickville

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Village of Merrickville-Wolford