Founding of Mount Forest, The

During the survey of the Garafraxa Colonization Road, constructed from Arthur to Georgian Bay in 1840-48, land was reserved for a settlement here at the South Saugeen River. By 1851, a post office had been established and, two years later, a village-plot named Mount Forest was laid out. Surrounded by excellent agricultural country and stimulated by the improvement of the Garafraxa Road, the hamlet grew quickly and was incorporated as a village in 1864. Three years later, with a population of about 1,400 inhabitants, the community contained several farm implement manufactories and an extensive milling complex owned by Cynthia Yeomans. Following the completion of the Toronto, Grey and Bruce Railway to Mount Forest in 1871, the community expanded rapidly and became a town in 1879.


In the Lion's Club Park, Main Street South and Parkside Drive, Mount Forest

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Wellington

Municipality: Township of Wellington North