Founding of Newbury, The

The opening of a railway station near here in 1854 on the recently completed Great Western main line from Niagara Falls to Windsor provided the nucleus around which a community was soon established. In that year, John Tucker and Robert Thompson registered subdivisions and a post office named "Newbury" was opened. The community flourished and by 1857, with a population of almost 500, it contained hotels, stores, sawmills, a grist-mill, a foundry and several other small industries. The development of lumbering stimulated the growth of Newbury, which by a county by-law of June 7, 1872, was incorporated as a village with a population of about 800.


On the grounds of the public library, 48 Hagerty Road, Newbury

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Middlesex

Municipality: Village of Newbury