Founding of Pickering, The

Between 1801 and 1807, a settlement developed here in Pickering Township where the Danforth Road crossed Duffin's Creek. Among the early settlers was Timothy Rogers, a prominent Quaker and colonizer who built a saw and grist-mill in 1809. A post office was established in 1829 but the hamlet of Duffin's Creek developed slowly. The construction of the Grand Trunk Railway, completed in 1856, and growing agricultural prosperity stimulated the community's development as an important grist-milling and local commercial centre. Known as Pickering from the late 1870s, it became a police village in 1900 with about 1,000 inhabitants. In 1953, it was made an incorporated village and, in 1974, amalgamated with the Town of Ajax.


Near the intersection of Kingston Road West and Old Kingston Road in the former village of Pickering

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of Durham

Municipality: Town of Ajax