Founding of Port Robinson, The

Port Robinson, the southern terminus of the original Welland Canal, opened in 1829, was named for John Beverley Robinson, chief justice of Upper Canada. The village grew rapidly when hundreds of Irish immigrants laboured on the "Deep Cut" between Allanburg and this site. A company of Negro soldiers stationed here about 1843-51 enforced order along the canal. Port Robinson benefited from frequent canal improvements, and trade and industry, including a shipyard and dry docks, flourished. In 1856, Merrittsville (Welland) became the administrative centre for Welland County. Later, Port Robinson's development was slowed when the shipyards were closed. After about 1880, when its inhabitants totaled some 800, there was a decline in population and business activity.


In Port Robinson Park, adjacent to the canal, Port Robinson

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of Welland