Founding of Richmond Hill, The

Settlers came to this district about 1794 after the construction of Yonge Street north from York (Toronto). The settlement prospered as a way station for travellers. Known as Mount Pleasant, the community was renamed, following a visit in 1819 by the Governor-in-chief of British North America, the Duke of Richmond. Mills along the Don River preceded the establishment of tanneries and carriage works. The first church, erected by Presbyterians, opened in 1821, the post office in 1836. By 1853, a railway station was located nearby. A county bylaw, passed in 1872, incorporated Richmond Hill as a village and its council first met in 1873. Town status was achieved in 1957 and its boundaries were greatly extended in 1970.


Southwest corner of Yonge and Wright streets, Richmond Hill

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of York

Municipality: City of Richmond Hill