Founding of Spencerville, The

By 1821, Peleg Spencer was operating a grist-mill and sawmill on the South Nation River on a Clergy Lot he had leased in 1817, having previously owned a sawmill on the site from 1811 till 1814. David Spencer, son of Peleg, took over the mills in 1822 and patented the mill lot in 1831. By 1828, an inn was located near "Spencer's Mills" and a settlement developed. David Spencer had a village plot surveyed in the 1840s and a post office, called "Spencerville," had been opened by October 1846. In 1851, the village numbered some 250 inhabitants with a tannery and other industries, as well as Spencer's mills, which were later rebuilt in stone across the river.


In front of the township hall, Centre Street, Spencerville

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Township of Edwardsburgh/Cardinal