Menu

Founding of St. Catharines, The

Enterprising settlers widened trails created by aboriginal people to accommodate wagon traffic. By 1798, a crossroads community was formed at the site of St. Catharines. Construction of the Welland Canal some 30 years later stimulated economic development and by mid-century St. Catharines had become a significant milling and shipbuilding centre.

Location

At the municipal building, 50 Church Street, St. Catharines

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of St. Catharines

Themes