Founding of Stouffville, The

In 1805-06, Abraham Stouffer (1780-1851), a Pennsylvania Mennonite, acquired 400 acres of land in this area. By 1824, he had built a saw and grist-mill on Duffin's Creek, near which a hamlet developed and, in 1832, a post office named Stouffville was established. The community grew steadily and, in 1852, a village plot was laid out. By 1864, Stouffville, with a population of about 700 inhabitants, contained several prosperous industries, including carriage-works, harness works and the mills of Edward Wheler, a prominent merchant. The construction of the Toronto and Nipissing Railway, completed in 1871, and growing agricultural prosperity stimulated the community's growth as an important milling and commercial centre. Stouffville was incorporated as a village by a county bylaw of 1876.


On the site of the former Stouffer homestead, Main Street, Whitchurch-Stouffville

Region: Greater Toronto Area

County/District: Regional Municipality of York

Municipality: Town of Whitchurch-Stouffville