Founding of Thorold, The

One of the first businessmen to exploit the water power offered by the Welland Canal was George Keefer, Sr. who in 1828 built a large stone flour mill on the future site of Thorold. Other mills soon followed and by the 1840s Thorold had become a major mill-centre in the province.


In the Battle of Beaverdams Park, Sullivan Avenue, Thorold

Region: Niagara Falls and Region

County/District: Regional Municipality of Niagara

Municipality: City of Thorold