Founding of Tweed, The

During the 1830s, a settlement, initially called Munroe's Mills and later Hungerford Mills, developed here on the Moira River. In 1850, when its population had reached approximately 100, it was surveyed and renamed Tweed by prominent mill owner, James Jamieson. The community grew steadily during the mid-19th century with the development of lumbering and mining in the area. Later, as agriculture assumed greater importance, it became a service centre for local farmers. By 1891, when it merged with neighbouring Georgetown and was incorporated as a village, Tweed was served by two railways and had several small factories, numerous businesses and over 750 residents. In 1967, after decades of modest growth, the community gained widespread attention as the site of Canada's first all-woman municipal council.


In Victoria Street parkette, behind the Tweed Municipal Building

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: County of Hastings

Municipality: Municipality of Tweed