Founding of Walkerton, The

In 1850, Joseph Walker came here to the Durham Road where it crosses the Saugeen River. He built an inn and contracted to build two bridges and a part of a road. He and his son William were, in 1851, granted free lots and later allowed to buy adjoining property. Joseph Walker built a sawmill in 1852 and added a grist-mill the following year. Two stores were opened and "Brant Post Office" was established. Subdivisions were registered to Joseph Walker and others in 1857 when the name of the post-office was changed to Walkerton. The community was proclaimed the "county town" of Bruce County in 1866, and Walkerton was incorporated as a town in 1871.


In front of Walker's former home, 15 McNab Street, Walkerton

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Bruce

Municipality: Municipality of Brockton