Founding of Wallaceburg, The

The Chippewa surrendered their lands in this area by treaty in 1796. The first European presence in this area was Lord Selkirk's nearby Baldoon Settlement, founded in 1804. It failed because of its poor location, but some of the settlers relocated here at the forks of the Sydenham River. Laughlan McDougall, the first arrival, built a trading post and tavern at "The Forks" in the early 1820s. When a post office opened in 1837, the hamlet was named Wallaceburg after Scottish patriot Sir William Wallace. In subsequent decades, the community prospered as the hub of the area's lumber trade and as a market town and industrial centre. Wallaceburg became a village in 1875 and a town in 1896.


In the park near James Street and McNaughton Avenue, just north of the bridge, Wallaceburg

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: Municipality of Chatham-Kent (District)

Municipality: Municipality of Chatham-Kent