Menu

Founding of Westport, The

Sawmills built by Sheldon Stoddard and the Manhard brothers in 1828-29, during the construction of the Rideau Canal, fostered the development here of a small settlement. Grist-mills and wharves were soon erected and, by 1848, a post-office, “West Port,” had been established. Within a decade, the hamlet contained 300 residents and several prosperous businesses, including the general store of Declan Foley and mills of William H. Fredenburgh, a prominent lumber exporter. The community’s growth was stimulated by agricultural prosperity and the construction of the Brockville, Westport and Sault Ste. Marie Railway, completed in 1888 between Brockville and Westport, which then had a population of about 700. Westport was incorporated as a village, with 900 inhabitants, by a United Counties bylaw of 1903.

Location

At the town hall, Bedford Street, Westport

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Leeds and Grenville

Municipality: Village of Westport

Themes