Founding of Wiarton, The

In 1855, a town-plot was laid out here on recently acquired Indian Land and named Wiarton, reputedly after the English birthplace of Edmund Head Governor General of Canada (1854-61). Settlement commenced in 1866 and two years later a post office was established. Agricultural prosperity, excellent harbour facilities and extensive sawmilling operations stimulated the community's growth. In 1880, with a population of about 750, it was incorporated as a village. The operation of the Stratford and Lake Huron line of the Grand Trunk Railway, opened to Wiarton in 1882, facilitated its continued development particularly in milling and the manufacture of wood products. With over 2,000 inhabitants the thriving community became a town in 1894.


At the town hall, 315 George Street, Wiarton

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Bruce

Municipality: Town of South Bruce Peninsula