George Tillson 1782-1864

Born in Enfield, Massachusetts, Tillson came to Upper Canada in 1822, where he operated the Normandale Iron Foundry, Norfolk County, in partnership with Hiram Capron and James and Benjamin Van Norman. In 1825, he sold his holdings in that pioneer enterprise and bought some 600 acres of land, including a mill site, in this vicinity. Here, in partnership with Benjamin Van Norman, he built a new forge and a sawmill. The settlement that grew around these industries was known at first as Dereham Forge, but following the survey of the town plot in 1837, it was named Tillsonburg in honour of its founder.


At the pull-off at 3-27 Old Vienna Road, Tillsonburg

Region: Southwestern Ontario

County/District: County of Oxford

Municipality: Town of Tillsonburg