Glengarry Congregational Church 1837, The

This log structure, completed in 1837, is the oldest remaining chapel in Ontario built by Congregationalists. Its first minister, the Reverend William McKillican (1776-1849), emigrated to Canada from Scotland in 1816, and settled in Glengarry the following year. Here, in 1823, he established one of the earliest congregations of his denomination in Upper Canada and ministered throughout the surrounding region. He was succeeded by his son John (1824-1911) who first preached in this chapel in 1850, and was ordained here the following year. During the next sixty years, local attendance diminished and, by about 1912, the building fell into disuse. In 1920, it was sold to the nearby Gordon Presbyterian Church.


On the grounds of the church in St. Elmo, north of Maxville, on County Road 20

Region: Eastern Ontario

County/District: United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry

Municipality: Township of North Glengarry