Menu

Gore's Landing

Named after Thomas S. Gore, an Irishman who settled in this vicinity in 1845, the village of Gore’s Landing prospered for a time as the terminal point of a plank road constructed from Cobourg to Rice Lake 1847-48. Among the well-known residents of Gore’s Landing were: Archibald Lampman (1860-1899), noted poet; Derwyn T. Owen (1876-1947), Anglican Primate of All Canada from 1934-1947; J.D. Kelly (1862-1958), historical artist; and Gerald S. Hayward (1845-1926), a painter of miniatures who won acclaim in the U.S. and Britain. Hayward contributed to the building of the present St. George’s Anglican Church, constructed of stone in 1908 to replace the wooden church erected 1846-48, and is buried in the adjacent cemetery.

Location

In Pioneer Park, Plank and Kelly roads, Gores Landing

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Northumberland

Municipality: Township of Hamilton

Themes