Great Dog Portage

Part of the Kaministiquia canoe route between Lake Superior and the West, Great Dog Portage was first recorded by Jacques de Noyon in 1688. The arduous route, which connected Dog Lake and Little Dog Lake, required travellers to ascend almost 150 metres over a trek of three kilometres.


At the south end of Dog Lake, Fowler Township - northwest of Thunder Bay

Region: Northern Ontario

County/District: District of Thunder Bay

Municipality: Dog Lake