Menu

Grover-Nicholls House, The

An outstanding example of Greek revival architecture, modified in the Palladian manner, it was begun about 1847 by P.M. Grover, a well-to-do local merchant. A type of building rare in Ontario, it was probably inspired by a "design for a villa" appearing in Minard Lafever’s "Modern Builder’s Guide," 1833. The square pillars of this house are a classical Greek feature popular in North America principally because they were less costly to build than round columns. Robert Nicholls acquired the property in 1851, and it remained in his family, distinguished in Peterborough for public service and philanthropy, until 1906. Here, the local Masonic lodge held its meetings in 1849-53 and, in 1950, the Masons purchased this imposing house.

Location

On the grounds of the house, 415 Rubidge Street, Peterborough

Region: Central Ontario

County/District: County of Peterborough

Municipality: City of Peterborough

Themes